Thursday, February 21, 2008

Crazy Last Minute Whistler Trip – Gotta get my ride on!

So, what does one do when they get a last minute call from a buddy saying – hey let’s hit whistler this week, I got a condo? Well when one has been DYING to get on a board since this whole stupid cancer thing hit - you say YES! First it was 6 weeks off for surgery, then another 2 weeks off for the portacath surgery – geesh that’s a lot of winter riding time GONE! Time to make up for my lost activity time!!

The crazy part of this trip is that I flew in from Orlando at about noon on Wednesday, raced home (was locked out of home and had to wait for locksmith – but that’s another story) changed out my luggage for warm clothes and a snowboard, then headed for Whistler that evening with my buddy Shawn who had gotten the condo. Got in late, but up early to meet up with Brian for a FANTASTIC day on the mountain. Well fantastic except the part where I almost kill Brian – maybe he shouldn’t have followed me??

Check out the pictures to see what an amazing day we had… the only blip (the almost killing Brian part) was when we climbed up Spanky’s Ladder to the back side and took a tiny shoot (Brian refers to this a the “goat trail”) to drop into the glacier bowl. Brian tried to turn and flew off the ledge back flip style and miraculously landed between the two huge boulders on his head before falling halfway down the bowl. I have the video here, but you can see as I get scared the footage drops to the snow! Thank God he made it ok!

Once the lifts closed, it was time to embark on our 5 hours drive home – chemo tomorrow!
http://picasaweb.google.com/Alyssabzis/LastMinuteWhistlerTrip


(And they survive!)

No comments: