Thursday, February 14, 2008

Hair Shave Party – IT’S ON!!

(BEFORE)
My decision to go ahead and have this party was made a bit easier by the fact that the past two days my head had been driving me CRAZY with itchy, tingly, tenderness. This combined with the fact that my hair seemed to be falling out at a much faster rate (I could barely touch it without having some in my hands). It made me realize that the “probably” not fall out was turning into a “probably” going to fall out.

SO...The e-mail went out to the cancer posse and the party was on! We all met in the lobby of Gene Juarez and waited for Rayna, my super stylist! Needless to say I was nervous at this point! Fortunately, I had a huge turn out for the
(THE MULLET)
event which helped to make this an immensely positive and fun experience!!

My large cancer posse took over a huge corner of the salon, attracting a variety of onlookers – other stylists and customers. Since all my friends are as photo happy as I am, it felt like I had paparatzi around me! Michelle even popped champagne for the event!

I think the photos probably tell the rest of the story best. You can also check my friend’s photos at: http://picasaweb.google.com/SeanAllDay/AlyssaSCloseShave http://picasaweb.google.com/wendybug1/AlyssaSHairCutShave
I started with 3 lovely ponytails and Rayna cut them off, one by one! Once that first pony tail fell I was committed and the hair was donated! We tried some crazy hair looks along the way (my one and only time with a mullet) and I got to make the first shave – I’ll be honest, that took some courage!

For some crazy reason, Rayna kept telling everyone how perfectly shaped my head was – who would have thought? Guess you never know till you see it! At least there are some bonuses in this deal! I ended up with a GI Jane hair cut reminiscent of Demi Moore. How fun! The most surprising thing of all of this for me was that I didn’t hate how I looked bald. I felt like I was looking at a stranger, but she didn’t look half bad! With all the positive friend reactions (and the one super honest kid reaction – Colby told me it was “Weird”) I was confident enough to go wigless to our celebration dinner!!

Before heading out, however I did have to try on all the wigs and Rayna arranged for her friend Dannie to clean up my eye brows so the look would be perfect. Huge thanks to both of them for not only donating their time to me for these services, but for making the entire event so special.

After all this, it was off to the celebration dinner! Thanks to all of you for making this so fun!!

(AFTER)

1 comment:

kdavis said...

Wow, you are so strong. I will have to stop by and see you when you aren't traveling. I stopped by to see Misty last week, I was showing off my new hair cut but yours is much more inspiring. I'm keeping you in my prayers. Don't be a stranger!