Friday, February 22, 2008

HALF WAY THERE!!!! Chemo Round 2!!!

So I made it this far and seem to be doing well. Talked with the doctor and hope we have adjusted the after chemo meds to avoid the crash I had the first time. I was hesitant to invite too many people to chemo this time seeing as I pretty much slept through it the last time. Mom was hit pretty hard with a flu bug so she was unable to take me or even being in the chemo treatment area (our immune systems can’t take it). Steve drove me up to the Swedish Cancer Center and waited while my support crew showed up. Thankfully Shawn and Charis were able to make it in and Shawn was my driver home.

Only my second time here but know I know what to do like a pro… pick up your lab sheet at check-in, get your blood draw (the only good thing about this stupid portacath is that they don’t need to prick your veins) and then wait for the doctor. We chat about what went good and bad
since chemo and he makes sure I have meds for the time following chemo. From there it is up to the treatment center where they hook me up to all kinds of drugs… we start out with the prep ones like Pepsid, Benadryl, Ativan - some sleep inducing anti-anxiety drug, hydration, etc… then we move on to the big ones - Taxotere and Cytoaxan! This whole process takes about 4-5 hours. I seem to only stay awake until the Ativan and Benadryl and from there pretty much don’t even remember the rest of chemo or even getting home. Lights out for me!
Charis is a good sport and always brings entertainment such as cards – I was winning until the Ativan – I swear! Talk about taking advantage of the chemo girl!


No comments: