Sunday, February 10, 2008

POSSIBLE – Hair Shave/Cut Party

About the time I learned exactly what chemo plan I would be on, I also learned that I may or may not lose my hair from it. Doctor had said about 50% chance with my dose and drugs. Naturally being the rose colored glasses person that I am, I clung to that info with the thought that maybe I would not lose my hair….

Things changed when I realized that if I did lose my hair it would be about the time I would be “hosting” a group for work at the Daytona 500! Now, I would love to take the wait and see approach, however the prospect of having to deal with this in a hotel room in Florida while also having to face a group I am leading is a bit overwhelming to me. Also, my head has been driving me crazy (super itchy, tingly, and more fall out than normal already). When I mentioned that symptom to my chemo doc, he said it means I would probably be losing my hair and possibly in the next few days to a week. Again, I keep hanging on to the word "probably". I have also heard that sometimes your hair just thins and doesn't fall all the way out.

I am sure now you can see my dilemma. If I wait to see, then I could be dealing with this in Florida making it harder to ensure the hair can be cut in time to donate it and the thought of it falling out on a work trip sounds stressful. If I cut it in advance there will be no stress during my event and I can have friends/family around for a more empowering experience and emotional support. I have already gone wig shopping so I am prepared either way!

So, I decided to make a "tentative" appointment set at Gene Juarez Downtown on Wednesday evening (the day before the Daytona trip) with my favorite hair stylist, Rayna, to "possibly" cut all my hair off and donate it to "Locks of Love" - a wig program for children with cancer. The day I found out I had breast cancer I already had an appointment set with her. I kept it and asked her to give me the best hair cut ever because I didn’t know how long I would get to keep it. She was awesome and helped me relax and get through one of the more stressful days of my life. It seems only right to have her also be the one to help me lose the hair!

At this point, not having fully committed to the hair cut (because it is slightly scary), I sent an e-mail to my cancer posse told them of the my appointment and asked if they could be available for a short notice decision. Being the SUPER, AMAZING, AWESOME people that they are, they not only promised to be available (some even worked on getting off work early) they sent the most amazing and supportive e-mails to me about this. Am I luck to have these people or what?

No comments: