Saturday, March 29, 2008

A New Home and Unexpected travel – Italy’s Greatest Cities!

(Trevi Fountain)
So here I was at home, recovering from chemo round 3, thinking that I had a good few weeks home before my next trip when I receive a call from my boss informing me that my co-worker (the one who has my back during this crazy cancer thing) is no longer with the company! YIKES! To top it all off I am in the process of moving to a new apartment (yes, those of you who keep my addresses in pencil get out your eraser!) and planning my gpa’s 90th birthday! If there was a wall to hit, I think I may have done it! Chemo, moving, dbl work load and additional travel – nope - nothing stressful going on here!
First – The New apartment – I had been temporarily staying with my totally awesome and supportive friend Diane since last July. I was supposed to be buying a condo and moving out within a few months, then I got cancer and that sort of changed the plans. She has been incredibly generous with her home and her love and let me continue living there (and all my caretakers in and out) through the cancer stuff. Now that I am almost through the woods, she is looking to sell her place (something she talked about doing since I moved in with her) and I needed to find a new home. I found a cute little cottage much sooner than expected and ended up moving this month! Now in the midst of chemo (at my most tired and unmotivated time) I am trying to unpack and move in – crazy!

Second – Italy’s Greatest Cities – So, since my co-worker is no longer with the company, someone needed to jump in and take her upcoming trip to Italy. Since I am trained and have been doing well it was decided that I would take the trip. Prior to leaving I had only a day or so in the office to prepare for the trip because my chemo recovery is taking a little longer each time. I hear it is cumulative and I get that, but I am ready to be done feeling tired! I used to be able to push through just about anything with or without sleep and now I am finding that even with sleep I still feel tired – geesh! Oh well – almost done! Tired or not, I would NEVER pass up the chance to return to my favorite country – Italy!

Our trip started in Rome, went to Florence, Pisa, Verona and Venice (my FAVORITE city). The group returned to Rome; however I departed from Venice one day before the group in order to make it to my last chemo appointment. It was a fantastic trip with an amazing group and a great guide - Mario. I was a little more tired than usual so instead of enjoying cafes and city life on the leisure time, I spent more time in my room enjoying the bathtub and room service! Not so bad!

We spent our time in Rome seeing the key tourist sites – The Colosseum, the Vatican, the Trevi fountain, etc. I love this city! During our tour of Florence, I joined our guide for coffee instead of visiting the museums again! Yes – I know some of you (Sheryl) love and appreciate museums…I dread them because I have to appear interested for the group even if it is the second or third time there! No Academy for me! This time we dropped the group off at the museum and then went to a café – something of much greater interest to me! On our way to Venice we stopped in Verona and saw the balcony of Romeo & Juliette. This was a cute little town completely overrun with tourists! YIKES! Get me out of this crowd. We finally arrived in Venice – MY FAVORITE! I love walking the streets and passing over the canals of this beautiful place. On a boat trip to Burano, I ran into my Venetian guide from a few years ago – Vanessa! She is so much fun it was great to get caught up. The trip was a success and the group members were so awesome and supportive that it almost didn’t feel like work!

No comments: