Thursday, March 13, 2008

Chemo 3 - Almost there!

(Dr. Kaplan & Me)

So needless to say life has been a bit crazy busy! Between Chemo and my travel schedule this has gone by pretty fast! Hard to believe I am almost through with the chemo part! In some ways it has been a lot easier than I thought it would be and in some ways much harder. I am lucky in that the type of chemo I am getting hits hard initially, then gives me two pretty good functional weeks. I am thankful to be able to keep up with my job and continue to travel – yeah for that! Yes – I am a bit crazy in that I scheduled my chemo around my work trips!

Chemo has been a weird ride. Sort of knocks you down, then you get up and feel good again just to repeat the process. At least the good weeks are longer than the bad days! Also, so happy for the good drugs because I haven’t really gotten super sick like I thought I would. Thank God for that because I HATE to throw-up. Sometimes chemo makes me feel a little nauseous and food certainly doesn’t taste good so I am not too interested in eating (if I needed a diet, this would work), but overall not too bad on the sick thing.

I think the worst part of chemo is that it makes me tired and unmotivated… those of you who know me, know that this is WORSE than being sick! It’s hard to explain, but after chemo, I feel tired, sometimes so tired I just want to sit there… it’s like thinking -hummm a cup of tea would be nice right now, but it seems like too much effort to go get it so I’ll just continue to sit here on the couch instead. At the same time, since I am not physically sick (just this crazy tired, unmotivated haze) I feel guilty for just sitting on the couch…. I think of all the things I could be or should be doing with this time off. Sometimes I try to do things, then find myself too tired to actually accomplish much. – I know in my head I should cut myself some slack, but for some reason I have this problem with sitting still! I guess because in my head I don’t really think of myself as sick. Nope – I am not sick!

A little note on the pictures - my parents took me to this chemo and I wore the pink hair! Think I will wear it to the next one too because it made such an impression on everyone else in the chemo room. The chemo room isn’t the most fun and exciting place to be so if I can make people smile or think of something else for a moment, then I am all for it! Bring on the pink hair! Prior to chemo, I meet with Dr. Kaplan – the best chemo doc ever – to discuss where things are at, check my blood work, etc. before he sends me off to the treatment room. He was so entertained by the wig he now wants pictures of it for the office.

No comments: